History As We Know It
Lambeth Lawn Bowling Club
Early details are somewhat sketchy however we do have the original minute book.- covering the time period Sept. 10, 1917 to May 25th, 1939. The following information has been extracted from this book.
Plans for lawn bowling operations began in July 1916 with actual play starting in July, 1917.
The first General Meeting of the Lambeth Lawn Bowling Club met at the home of President Dr. A. R. Routledge, September 10, 1917. Dr. Routledge lived in a beautiful two storey home where Copp's Lumber is now situated. There were 22 gentlemen present, two of them being David Anguish (Mary Alene Dudley's grandfather) and Sharon Kelly, (Edwin Kelly's father). Membership fee - $5.00.
The by-laws formed at a previous meeting were read and adopted. A transcript of the minutes of this meeting can be found at the back of this publication. In these minutes, mention is made that thanks was given to C.H. Ward and Co., Thomas Gillean and Chas Spiran who presented the Club with cups for different competitions. The "Gillean Cup" was found in recent years during renovations and re-silvered in 1978. The Club still uses it today.
November 2, 1917 - At the second meeting held at the home of Mr. W. K. Coldicott, it was agreed to accept a gift of $7.14 from Mr. Carley representing an account owed by the Club.
At this meeting it was discussed the Lawn Bowling Club would enter into a lease of the Bowling Club property with the Village Trustees at a cost of $1.00 per year. (Note: we now lease the property from the City of London at a cost of $1.00 per year)
May 3, 1918 - Boys under eighteen years were accepted for membership at the membership fee of $3.00.
The secretary was instructed to forward $3.00 affiliation fee to the Western Ontario Bowling Association located at 57 Dundas Street, London, ON. (W.O.B.A.)
July 2, 1918 - A presentation was made to Mr. A. Carley (owned the general store and was the village post master) in consideration of the splendid work done by him while acting as caretaker of the grounds. The presentation being "a pair of bowls" suitably inscribed. Mr. Carley was paid $50.00 for services rendered. (Note: Bowling was initially a game of Fours - Triples, Doubles and Singles were introduced at a later date)
July 27, 1918 - A motion was made and adopted that "skips at local tournaments shall accept the draw as made and in the event of an objection being raised the objector shall withdraw.
November 15, 1918 - A motion was made and adopted that the Club operate a skating rink in the coming winter. The executive are to make immediate arrangements to put the rink in condition. (Note: The skating rink was located east of the Club House)
At a General Meeting, May 12, 1919, a motion was carried that all returning soldiers' membership fees be $2.50.
that the President and three other members to be selected by him to personally visit all the Clubs in the City of London and extend an invitation for membership not to exceed more than eight members from any one club.
October 1, 1919 - At the "All London Tournament" four prizes were played for, with an entry fee of $4.00 per rink.
||$16.00 in eatables
||$12.00 in eatables
||$10.00 in eatables
||$ 8.00 in eatables
A refreshment committee was to be formed to provide the "eatables" and women hired to do the work.
November 7, 1919
- The Annual meeting was held at the Royal Bank building with 11 members present.
May 12, 1920 - At a special meeting of the Games Committee it was agreed that the club appoint skips for practice nights and for going to tournaments. E. T. Bainard was appointed a Skip at this meeting. (Note: Skips were appointed and that position would be maintained for the year.)
May 26, 1920 - There was a meeting to discuss the securing of some rooms over the garage (Alva Jones' Garage - located on the north-west corner across from the Royal Bank) for the use of the Club. The committee was authorized to secure these rooms and furnish them at a cost not to exceed $200.00.
July 6, 1920 - The Games, Grounds and Refreshment committees met to arrange the summer tournament. Entrance fee - $5.00 per rink. The prizes were:
||10 lbs honey extracted
||pair of bowling shoes
||canvas case for bowls
3rd prize - canvas case for bowls.
In 1924 plans were drawn up for a club house. The building was 18’ x 24’ and is now our jitney house. In 1971 a meeting was called to discuss the building of a new clubhouse. The membership approved in principal the proposal to a maximum of $6,000. The original building was moved and a new club house was constructed with a kitchen, washrooms and a screed in porch. The building had a facelift a few years ago with the porch being incorporated into the indoor space and an outdoor patio incorporated. In 2014 the interior of the clubhouse was again renovated with new fireproof drywall and new lighting. The building is now heated and air conditioned so it can be used year round.
It is interesting to see what the membership fees over the years have been. In the early years, the men paid more that the ladies for their memberships.
1962 $ 10.00 $ 2.50
1965 12.00 4.00
1972 15.00 7.50
1992 40.00 40.00 32 members
2001 $ 60.00
2004 $ 75.00 47 members
2007 $120.00 63 members
2017 $ 165.00 63 members
In 1993 Westminster Township and the village of Lambeth became a part of the City of London. Fortunately, the club was able to still lease the land from the city but the City required the club to become incorporated. This was completed in June of 2002.
Members of the Lambeth Lawn Bowling Club are still enjoying the social and competitive activity of this sport after 100 hundred years.